Yıldız Holding cares about nutrition and food safety, both locally and internationally. As our companies expand into the increasingly global food trade, we will continue to develop, implement and practice the latest scientific advancements and regulations. By providing information and guidance regarding production techniques and legal regulations, we work in cooperation with national statutes, civil organizations, academia, and suppliers, to address food safety at every stage of the chain.
An End to Trans Fats
We keep pace with international standards in food technology to the benefit of our consumers. Our use of oils without trans fats speaks of our responsibility as a producer.
• Our margarine has never included trans fats.
• Since 2004, we have reduced the trans fat content of frying oils from 14% to less than 1%.
• Since 2009, we have removed trans fats from all our biscuit, cake & chocolate categories.
• We have removed a total of 1,806 tons of fat from famous brands and milk products.
• We have reduced saturated fats in our products by 275 tons a year.
Reduction in Sugar and Salt
In the last 5 years, Ülker and its sub-brands have reduced use of sugar by approximately 20,000 tons, and salt by 550 tons.
• We have removed 14,023 tons of sugar from our biscuits, beverages, milk products, gums and candy products.
• We have reduced sugar in our reformulated carbonated drinks by 5,155 tons per year.
• We have removed 449 tons of salt from our biscuits, crackers and milk products in the past 5 years.
Encouraging Balanced Nutrition
Harnessing advances in food technology, we have introduced low-calorie and enriched products which support adequate and balanced nutrition, including:
• Low-calorie product alternatives with reduced fat and sugar ratios
• Products which are rich in nutritional value, high in fiber, whole grain, low-fat and low-calorie
• Low-fat baked snack product alternatives with 80% less fat.
Principles of Responsible Communication
1. Label Literacy: In addition to product variety, we are making it easier for consumers to be informed about our products. We have added easily visible and readable ‘Nutritional Value Tables’ to all our products. Organized with amounts for 100g and individual packets, the nutritional value tables contribute to raising consumer awareness. The size of individual-serving packets for high-calorie products is always less than 50g, and we provide consumers with alternative portion options.
2. Guide to Responsible Communication: It is our responsibility as a producer to provide options for adequate and balanced nutrition. We provide a variety of products, allowing consumers to choose according to their needs. We brought together principles of responsible nutrition to create Yıldız Holding’s Guide to Responsible Nutritional Communication. We were the first food company in Turkey to create and follow a nutritional guide.
Click here to access our Guide to Responsible Nutritional Communication.
Within the framework of Yıldız Holding's projects conducted for the future of public health, Harvard Sabri Ülker Center received its name in 2015. With the leadership of Professor Hotamışlıgil, Sabri Ülker Center, which is established in order to prevent the occurrence of genetic and metabolic diseases, hosts scientists both from Turkey and around the world. In addition, it organizes top-tier symposiums in Istanbul and Boston alternately to bring together the leading scientists and young generation researchers of the Developed World and create cooperation and exchange of ideas related to the latest scientific developments
Metabolism and Life Symposium, the second of the symposium series, was held between 29 and 30 May, 2018 at Harvard University, hosted by Sabri Ülker Foundation.
Recent developments on battling chronic diseases have been shared at the Symposium, where speakers of the Nobel Prize for Science have participated.
In Sabri Ülker Center's studies; many issues were covered such as how our cells use the foods we eat, the relationship between disease and etc.
The latest developments and their applications on the prevention and treatment of obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and accompanying disorders are included. Research conducted at the center continues to be published in magazines such as Nature Medicine, Cell Metabolism and Science, some of the prestigious publications of the scientific world.
All communication studies of Sabri Ülker Center are carried out by Sabri Ülker Foundation.
Click for detailed information; http://sabriulkerfoundation.org/TR/